RECOMMENDATIONS REPORT ON ETHICAL PROBLEMS IN HIGHER EDUCATION - 1
Prepared: Association of Ethics in the Academy (The opinions of academicians who have done scientific work on ethics have been received.
Preparation Date: October 2020
Preparation Purpose and Objectives: 1. Identifying the problems and sources about ethics.
2. To offer solutions to these problems.
3. To convey the opinions of academicians to the competent authorities.
4. Keeping ethical issues on the agenda.
5. Contributing to improving the quality of higher education.
6. To contribute to increase the quality and quantity of scientific studies.
Relevant Authorities to
whom the report will be submitted: YÖK, ÜAK, YÖKAK, KGEK, University Rectorate and Academicians.
1. Studies on ethics in every discipline are scored within a constraint during the associate professorship process.
2. In order to prevent the jury members from reporting ethical violations without objective and concrete evidence or from creating a victim of the minimum requirement, sanctions should also be imposed on jury members for sloppy evaluations and the victimization the create.
3. Ethics and professional ethics should be included in the compulsory course in each department in pre-undergraduate, undergraduate and graduate programs in higher education. The implementation of the recommendation decision of YÖK in this direciton should be ensured.
4. During the thesis defense process, members should determine a committee and academicians from different universities should be included in the thesis monitoring committees.
5. Master's and doctoral dissertations on ethics written for each profession should be encouraged by taking certain criteria into account (incentives may also be given to consultants).
6. Ethical studies should be scored in higher education appointmentt and promotion criteria.
7. Studies on ethics should be encouraged and material and moral tools that increase the visibility of good ethical practices should be used.
8. Associate professor candidates should be prevented from seeing the names of the jury in order to prevent them from making a wrong decision by engaging in special relationships.
9. Ethical seminars should be given at regular intervals to academicians and staff in different scientific fields and the participation of academic staff and staff should be provided by the sectors.
10. Academicians who have worked on ethics should be present in the ethics committees of universities.
11. Measures should be taken and trainings should be given to spread ethical awareness not only among academicians and students but also among all employees.
12. ÜAK should publish (partially applied) criteria when defining questionable journals that can also be included in indexes such as SSCI and SCI and encourage publication in journals such as "Web of Science, Scopus and TR Index".
13. The Interuniversity committee should update the Scientific Research and Publication Ethics Directive regularly (every 3 to 5 years) by re-examining similar international examples.
14. The process of measuring the performance of faculty should be carried out transparently and the results should be shared with them in detail.
15. Assignment of lectures to academicians should be made in accordance with their expertise and interest and should be balanced fair and taking into account the results of satisfaction surveys in addition to performance results.
16. Job postings should not be prepared individually merit should be taken into account and the recruitment process should be managed equitably.
17. Performance measurement should be done comprehensively. Assignments and upgrades should be based on this performance.
18. In the selection of managers, customary audits should be made and managers should be selected from among the most respected people.
19. Whenever possible, ethics committees should seek opinions from outside the institution and experts with no conflicts of interest.
20. The candidate applying to the ÜAK must scan the works in his / her declarationin a system to be established in the ÜAK (in a review engine) and declare that he / she does not violate ethics.
21. Ethicl awareness and sensitivity in universities should be increased for quality and development.
22. The protection of an organization's mission and values depends on care for ethical principles.
23. Translating ethical principles into action and following them enable organizations to show that they support their goals and values.
24. Ethical approaches at university administrations to the issues can ensure that they are seen as successful. Therefore higher education institutions should pay more attention to this area.
25. Anticipating potential risks that will prevent ethical problems and taking measures contribute to preventing possible future problems and consequently protecting the reputation of an institution in the eyes of the society and enables it to receive more support from the society in all matters.
26. Ethical awareness helps institutions to interpret the legislation correctly and enables them to follow the law voluntarily not just out of necessity.
27. It should be taken into consideration that adherence to ethical principles by institutions will enable more successful academics and students to be attracted to the institution.
28. Conducting joint activities of higher education institutions within the scope of cooperation protocols to be made with the Assocation of Ethics in the Academy may contribute to the increaseof ethical sensitivity.
29. Academy Ethics Association which is a dynamic platform formed by academicians who have scientific studies on ethics and aims to be the authority institution in ethics can express opinions on ethics and carry out activities that will add value to higher education.
A. COMPLETED ACTIVITIES
a. 2 ethics seminars were given at Arel.
b. Membership of The Ethics Platform within the public servants Ethics Committee was provided.
c. Ethics panel held at TED University.
d. Ethics conference was given to top level officials and NGO managers in Yalova Governorate.
e. Special education teachers professional ethics principles were determined and published as a book.
f. AKETDER research was conducted (to make the strategic planning of the association).
g. The report containing the measures that can be taken regarding ethics. to be presented to YÖK, ÜAK, YÖKAK, KGEK, University Rectorate and Academicians was completed and delivered to the relevant persons and institutions (The association plans to regularly ıssue an ethical report at regular intervals).
B. CONTINUING ACTIVITIES
a. Represents universities at the meetings of the Public Servants Ethics Committee Our Association is a member of the Ethical Platform).
b. Ensuring that ethics is included in the topics by sending e-mails to congresses and conference organizing committees.
c. Sending congratulatory mails to academicians with ethical work.
d. Academic Ethics: Theory and Practice Journal was launched.
e. Publisihing a book titled Ethical Violations at the Academy: Cases Experienced
f. The project of accrediting universities on ethics (AKETAS- Academy's Ethical Accreditation System).
g: Awarding articles on ethics.
h. Ethical policy for tradesmen.
C. PLANNED ACTIVITIES
a. Launching a campaign to establish ethics clubs for undergraduate students in each faculty at each university.
b. Launching a campaign for every academician to work on ethics.
c. Conducting research to identify areas where ethical violations are experienced in universities and measures to be taken to prevent them.
d. 3 webinars on ethics for doctoral and graduate students in November.